It’s the beginning of a great new year, and it’s time to make sure it’s your best one yet. If you wish you could enhance the appearance of your smile, you’re not alone. Millions of Americans report a desire to improve their smile each year, with most of their concerns being cosmetic in nature. From discolorations to chipped or misaligned teeth, there are numerous imperfections that teeth can develop that can be helped with a Smile Makeover. These makeovers aren’t a single procedure but are a comprehensive treatment plan tailored for the individual patient.
Address Aesthetic Dental Worries With A Smile Makeover
The crafting of a perfect smile means addressing the specific concerns that a patient is experiencing. When you work with your dentist to develop a smile makeover plan, they’ll begin by discussing the nature of your worries. Some common dental concerns are frequently addressed during this process:
• Chipped or broken teeth
• Worn enamel
• Crowded teeth
• Teeth gaps
• Discoloration or stained teeth
• Unevenly proportioned teeth
If these sound like concerns that you face, 2022 is the year to make them a thing of the past. Improving your smile is more than simply a matter of vanity. Crowded teeth can make it more likely that you’ll develop tooth decay. This is the outcome of plaque and tartar building up in the nooks and crannies created by these misaligned teeth. When enamel has become worn down, it can make the teeth more sensitive to temperature changes, sugars, and acids. Addressing concerns like these can relieve discomfort and improve overall health.
Beyond the oral health concerns, research suggests that your smile has far-reaching impacts. Those who have healthy, beautiful smiles tend to demonstrate higher self-esteem. Employers report that the health of a candidate’s teeth is considered while selecting a new hire. The state of our smiles impacts even our social lives!
What Happens During a Smile Makeover?
When you’re speaking to your dentist about planning your smile makeover, they’ll go over the procedures that will be used. Each individual smile makeover is tailored to the concerns identified during your consultation. Some of the procedures that may be suggested include:
- Inlays and Onlays – These are newer innovations in filling technology, also known as indirect fillings. They can be used to reinforce teeth damaged by decay or trauma. They are preferred over traditional fillings as they require the removal of less healthy tissue to fit them in place.
- Composite Bonding – Teeth that have suffered damage or decay are also able to be addressed with composite bonding. This material is tooth-colored and is able to restore your smile discreetly.
- Veneers – Ceramic veneers are an effective method of treating multiple dental health concerns with one treatment. This can include tooth gaps, chipping, mild misalignments, and discoloration. Applying veneers requires removing a thin layer of enamel before placing the ceramic replacement in place.
- Dental Whitening – Dental whitening is one of the most commonly requested forms of cosmetic dentistry. There are a significant number of treatment options available depending on the severity of the discoloration.
- Over-The-Counter – These treatments include toothpaste, mouthwash, and special trays full of whitening agents. These agents are usually based on hydrogen peroxide, but other forms are available. Unfortunately, these treatments are only able to handle the mildest of discoloration.
- Professional Treatments – When over-the-counter options aren’t sufficient, your dentist offers professional treatments. These include higher concentrations of whitening agents applied in the trays. Special UV lights are also used to enhance the effects of these agents. When deep-set decay is the cause of discoloration, it may be necessary to apply veneers or to whiten the teeth by eliminating the decay.
- Gingival Sculpting – Some patients feel that their smiles show too much gum tissue. Gingival sculpting is a process that cuts away the excess gum tissue to create a more aesthetically pleasing contour. This can be done traditionally with a scalpel or by using laser dentistry. Laser dentistry is preferred as it produces less discomfort, has faster healing times, and takes less time to perform.
Your cosmetic dentist will discuss the appropriate treatments for your cosmetic dental goals as part of your consultation. Begin planning your smile makeover by reaching out to your cosmetic dental specialist and scheduling a consultation. Together, you’ll create a treatment plan that will create the smile you’re hoping to create. Make the fantastic smile of your dreams a reality with a smile makeover in 2022, and discover a future with a smile you’re proud to share.